Indirect Sentences

Indirect Speech / Reported Speech
Indirect speech (sometimes called reported speech), doesn't use quotation marks to enclose what the person said and it doesn't have to be word for word.
When reporting speech the tense usually changes. This is because when we use reported speech, we are usually talking about a time in the past (because obviously the person who spoke originally spoke in the past). The verbs therefore usually have to be in the past too.

Formula
DIRECT
INDIRECT
Simple Present
V + to be ( is/am/are) + O
Simple Past
V2 + to be (was/were) + O
Simple Past
V2 + to be (was/were) + O
Past Perfect
Had + V3
Present Continous
To be (is/am/are) + V.ing
Past Continous
To be (was/were) + V.ing
Past Continous
To be (was/were) + V.ing
Past Perfect Continous
Had been + V.ing
Present Perfect
Have/has + V3
Past Perfect
Had + V3
Present Perefect Continous
Have/has + been + V.ing
Past Perefect Continous
Had + been + V.ing
Present Future
Simple/continuous
Have/has + been + V.ing
Past Future
Simple/continuous
Would + V1
Past Future
Simple/continuous
Would + V1
Past Future
Simple/continuous
Would + V1





Time References
Adverb
Direct
Indirect
Adverb of time
·         now
·         today
·         last week
·         last night ….. ago
·         tomorrow

·         next week

·         yesterday
·        then that day
·        that day
·        the week before
·        the night before
·    the next day, the following day
·       the following week, the week after
·    the day before/ the previous day
Adverb of place or other expression
·         here
·         this
·         these
·         there
·         that
·         those



Reporting
Direct Speech
Indirect Speech
Statement
“I’m not hungry now.”
(Saya tidak lapar sekarang.)
He said that he was not hungry at that time.
Imperative
“Do not touch my computer!”
(Jangan sentuh komputerku!)
She told me not to touch her computer.
Yes-no question
“Did you eat my cake?”
(Apakah kamu makan kueku?)
She wanted to know if I’d eaten her cake.
Information
question
“Who is the winner?”
(Siapa pemenangnya?)
He asked me who the winner w




EXAMPLE
DIRECT
INDIRECT
“Will I receive the packet tomorrow?”
He asked if he would receive the packet the following day.
“Do you have a little time?”
He asked me if I had a little time.
“Have you heard the news?”
She wanted to know whether I had heard the news
“I go to school everyday.”
She/he said that he goes to school everyday.
“I am doing my job here now.”
She/he said that he was doing his job there then.
The teacher said to me : “open your book”
The teacher asked me to open my book
Father asked me : “ Don’t go out”
Father asked me no to go out.
We asked the man :’where do you live?”
We asked the man where he live.
He told me,”you must come again tomorrow”
He told me that I would have to come the following day
He told me,”you musn’t drive a car without license”.
He told me that I musn’t a car without a license drive.
“shall I bring you some tea?”
He offered to bring me some tea.
He said,”let’s leave the case at the station”
He suggested leaving the case at the station.
He said,”what a beautiful hair she has!”
He said that she had a beautiful hair.
She told me, “I am playing music now”
She told me that she was playing music then.
He told me, “I went to Bandung yesterday”
He told me that he had gone to Bandung yesterday.

Sumber:
https://books.google.co.id/books?id=8zpXwEokjcMC&pg=PT494&lpg=PT494&dq=materi+indirect+sentences&source=bl&ots=GqxpNA7mu1&sig=sSKdoQNDlcTfHIgKIccZzQ8rNPU&hl=en&sa=X&ei=GMv-VOKXJYSxuASC5IKwCA&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=materi%20indirect%20sentences&f=false
http://www.wordsmile.com/pengertian-contoh-kalimat-indirect-reported-speech
http://cepatbisainggris.com/2014/06/04/materi-tentang-direct-indirect-speech/
https://inggrishbahasa.wordpress.com/lesson-english/english-grammar/179-2/

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Video Softskill : Quantum Computation

Unsur-Unsur Game Theory

Fitur-Fitur Unity